Tuesday, July 9, 2013

Paleo Bullet Proof Chai Tea

Do you know about Bullet Proof Coffee?

Go ahead and follow that link. I'll wait.

Right, got it? Yes, for real, I drink coffee with a few tablespoons of organic butter melted in it. I don't add the MTC oil, just because I don't have any, but I intend to try it with coconut oil when we get back to Jundiai. For now, here in England, it's just butter.

The problem is, I don't like unsweetened coffee. The butter is not a problem, and I think it tastes pretty good as a substitute for cream, but the coffee itself is still just too bitter. I love me some sweet coffee.

What to do?

Chai tea, of course.

Paleo Bullet Proof Chai Tea - It's what's for breakfast


What I did:

12 oz hot water
1 black chai tea bag
2-3 tbs Kerry Gold butter

How it tastes:

Like a non-sweetened chai latte. I love me a chai latte!

The only thing I like better than a chai latte, is a sweet chai latte, but it still tastes better than non-sweetened coffee.

What I'll try in the future:

Adding some hazelnut milk and frothing it all up with my hand blender. I may add a bit of raw honey, and maybe even a drop of vanilla.

Why it's good for you:

The tea itself is loaded with antioxidants, and has about 1/3 as much caffeine as strong coffee. Some studies have shown that black tea has anti-viral and anti-cancer properties.

The spices in the tea are:
  • Cinnamon - helps regulate blood sugar, helps reduce LDL (bad cholesterol) levels, has anti-bacterial, anti-fungal and pain relief properties, has small amounts of calcium, iron, and manganese, helps balance female hormone levels, helps reduce chronic inflammation, the smell boosts brain function,
  • Cardamom - full of antioxidants, has anti-bacterial, anti-fungal, anti-inflammatory and pain relief properties, is related to ginger and has many of the same anti-nausea and digestive benefits, mild diuretic, helps lower blood pressure
  • Star anise -
  • Fennel - full of antioxidants, vitamin C, potassium, boosts the effectiveness of other compounds with antibacterial and anti-fungal properties, helps ease menstrual cramps, aids digestion by stimulating digestive liquids, helps relieve constipation and gas, mild diuretic and expectorant
  • Cloves - has antibacterial, anti-inflammatory and pain relieving properties, good source of manganese, magnesium, omega-3 fatty acids, vitamin K, vitamin C, and calcium
  • Black pepper - contains vitamin K, manganese, copper, iron, and antioxidants, has anti-inflammatory properties, shown to increase gastrointestinal enzyme secretions and absorption of other nutrients
  • Nutmeg - antiseptic, antimicrobial and pain relief properties, contains myristicin which helps protect against Alzheimers, stimulates brain function, yet can also help you sleep, helps lower blood pressure, helps activate serotonin and dopamine which reduce anxiety
  • Ginger - aids digestion, helps with circulation, and reduces inflammation, reduces nausea and studies show that some of it's properties are effective at preventing skin cancer and treating ovarian cancer
yes, I think I have sold myself on Bullet Proof Chai Tea. How can I pass up all of those possible health benefits? Especially when it tastes so dang good.

(Please note, I am not a doctor, nutritionist or any other kind of health expert. I found all of this information via Professor Google. Do your own research if you want to know more!)

No comments:

Post a Comment