Wednesday, May 29, 2013

BLC - Warm Paleo Bacon, Cabbage and Tomato salad

I found bacon yesterday in the Brazilian equivalent of Costco. At first I got nervous because the only package I saw weighed about eight pounds, but I found smaller one. Phew!

I wouldn't mind eight pounds of bacon, but it isn't pre-sliced.

Brazilian pork belly bacon, slice it yourself!


Did you know slicing bacon by hand takes muscles? I didn't either, but I do now!

And since I was so excited about the bacon, I wanted to use it for dinner tonight. I happened to have some cabbage in the fridge, along with some tomatoes from the farmers market.

Here's what I used:
Makes 2 servings

6 pc thick sliced bacon (you could use thin sliced and make it more crispy)
1 lg roma tomato
1/3 head cabbage, sliced
1 tsp garlic granules
pepper to taste

Fry up the bacon and drain it on paper towels. Cut into small chunks, or crumble if it's crispy.

Slice the cabbage and arrange on a baking sheet (I lined it with foil because I'm totally lazy about clean up). Drizzle some bacon grease over the cabbage and sprinkle with garlic granules and pepper.

Roast it in the oven at 200 c (About 400 f) until the edges just start to brown. My oven took about 15 minutes.

While that's cooking, chop your tomatoes into chunks.

Throw your cabbage onto two plates and evenly split the bacon and tomatoes on top. That's it! Easy peasy.




I am eating it as we speak and it's quite tasty! I'd call that an easy, light dinner that doesn't take much time at all.

What I'll do different next time:
I'll try different seasonings on the cabbage, and maybe grill some red onions with it too.

No comments:

Post a Comment