Thursday, May 30, 2013

A Paleo Alternative to Miracle Whip or Salad Cream

Brian loves Heinz Salad Cream. He puts it on sandwiches, eggs, tomatoes, BLT's and anything else he thinks might benefit.

I am a fan of deviled eggs with Miracle Whip.

To my American tastes, Salad Cream and Miracle Whip taste almost exactly the same.

I checked the label, and guess what? Not paleo. They both have sugar, and several chemicals that I just don't want to eat, so what am I to do? I could give it up entirely, but I thought I'd try to make my own version of something that might be close to the taste.

Here's what I came up with:

1 tbs olive oil
1 tbs vinegar (I used white wine vinegar because it's all I have in the house at the moment)
1 tsp brown mustard
pinch of salt

Mix it up and pour it over the top of whatever you want. I had it over hard boiled eggs, but I think it would make a pretty good salad dressing too.

paleo egg salad with miracle whilp substitute
Eggs and fake Salad Cream for breakfast

It doesn't look anything like Miracle Whip or Salad Cream, but the flavor is in the same ball field. Close enough for me that I enjoyed my eggs very much.

What I would do next time:
I used about a tablespoon of mustard and it was a bit strong. I'll cut it back to a teaspoon next time.
I found two recipes for home-made paleo mayonaise here and here. You could add a bit of this mayo to make this a bit creamier.

No comments:

Post a Comment