Thursday, May 30, 2013

Paleo Chicken with Pineapple Salsa

Pineapple is fresh and plentiful here in Brazil, so I think I'll be using a lot of it in my cooking.

I found a recipe for grilled pineapple salsa from Closet Cooking which looked fantastic, but I haven't been able to find any jalapeños here yet. I'm on the lookout, and hopefully I'll find a source soon. Maybe I can even get my hands on some seeds and grow my own plant (Hahahaha! Have you met my black thumb?).

Anyway, I used her recipe as inspiration and whipped up a really tasty dinner tonight.

Here's what I did:

1 pineapple - chopped fairly small (abacaxi)
1 red onion - chopped fine (cebola vermelho)
1 bunch cilantro - chopped (about a half cup of loose chopped bits) (coentro)
1 lime (limão)
2 lg chicken breasts - cut into 1" pieces (peito de frango)
6 pieces bacon - cut into 1" pieces (bacon)

Spread the chopped pineapple into a baking dish and broil at 250 c (480 f) for about 10 minutes.
Chop the onion and cilantro while it's broiling and place into a bowl.
Throw the bacon and chicken in a pan, cook on med-hi heat until chicken is done. The chicken cooked faster, so I picked it out first and let the bacon finish cooking. Let the bacon finish browning to your desired level of crispy goodness.
Top the chicken with the bacon.
Take the pineapple out of the oven and spoon it into the bowl with the onion and cilantro. I drained the juice out first, but you don't have to.
Squeeze the lime into the pineapple mixture and toss it up.

Top the chicken and bacon with the salsa.

Chow down.

paleo chicken with pineapple salsa

Tasty, tasty, tasty!

What I would do next time:
Make more! That was so good! Brian gives it his "I could eat that again" approval. He even went back for seconds.

No comments:

Post a Comment