Friday, October 4, 2013

Paleo Turmeric Tea

Natural pain relief? A natural anti-inflammatory?

And in a delicious drink?

I'll try that.

I found a few recipes to give me an idea of what goes in this warm and mildly spicy drink.

first was Golden Milk from Alli Woods.

Then there was Creamy Turmeric Tea from Mark's Daily Apple.

Here's what I did for my first try:

1 tsp turmeric (açafrão de terra)
1 tsp very finely chopped ginger
1 tsp butter

Golden Hazelnut Milk Recipe


 Melt the butter for ten seconds in the microwave, just until soft. Stir in the turmeric and ginger to make a paste.

Golden Hazelnut Milk Recipe


Heat one cup nut milk (per serving) of your choice (I used hazelnut) in a small saucepan, or in the microwave, pour it into your favorite mug. Stir in about 1/3 of the turmeric paste and some honey to taste.
Golden Hazelnut Milk Recipe

Enjoy. 

How it came out:

More mild than I expected, but quite good! My hazlenut milk already has some vanilla added, which went well with these other flavors. I would enjoy this on a cold afternoon, especially if I'd been out in the weather. A great after-ski drink (like that's going to happen in Brazil ha!). A very nice alternative when you want something warm and soothing, but don't feel like having coffee or tea.

What I'll do different next time:

Maybe add a dash of nutmeg. Some recipes call for cayenne pepper, which I think I would like too. If you have unflavored nut milk, you could also add a few drops of vanilla to give it a more rich flavor.

A note of warning!

Turmeric STAINS. It is very bright yellow and will stain any clothing it touches. Be very, very careful not to spill a little bit on your sofa when you sit down to enjoy your steaming cup of goodness!

No comments:

Post a Comment